What Was New?
- Dec 1, 2005
On Thursday, Dec 1, representatives from SGI will visit Berkeley Lab to
share information about recent hardware and software visualization
products. The one-hour seminar will be held from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
in 50B-4205. Sponsored by the Lab~Rs Visualization Group, this seminar
is open to any Lab staff using or interested in scientific visualization
hardware and software technology. Please feel free to bring your
lunch to the seminar.
information -- PDF from SGI)
- November, 2005.
The LBNL visualization group presents broad spectum of work including applications in structural biology, AMR combustion, gene expression, phylogenetics, accelerator modeling, file formats for scientific data, and query driven visualization. In addition, the group is participating in the HPC Analytics Challenge, and the SC05 HPC Tri-Challenge. Members of the group will present talks on Security Visualization for the Analytics Challenge and Query Driven Visualization. More information.
- May 25, 2005 Added Incite1 and Incite3 to 2004 Vignettes, EPLF, PKYeung, Incite4, Andreas to 2005.
- August 10, 2005 Added documentation of IDL 6.2 to NERSC Software pages and a NOTE to the IDL page about the upgrade to 6.2.
- May 25, 2005 Added Incite1 and Incite3 to 2004 Vignettes, EPLF, PKYeung, Incite4, Andreas to 2005.
- March 29, 2005 Added Raquel Romano as a member of
- March 22, 2005 Upgraded the versions of CEI Ensight to 8.0.4a and 7.6.8b in Seaborg and Escher.
NERSC CEI pages.
- February 17, 2005 "Finding the Unknown in a Sea of Data --
Leveraging Human Intuition with Scientific Visual Data Analysis" presentation
delivered at the Berkeley Lab Washington DC Projects Office.
- November 16, 2004
New Vignette describing use of QuickTime VR Object Movies
to deliver interactive, 3D scientific visualization to the remote desktop.
on the subject of "Considerations for a Distributed Visualization
Architecture (DiVA)" given to LBL's Distributed Systems Department
in November 2004.
on the subject of Visualization Interoperability. Given to the
NVAC Architecture team at PNL on 10/28/04.
on the subject of the benefits of Martial Arts
training. Given at the November 2004 LBNL Wellness Fair.
- November 15, 2004 (Post SC2004)
- June 24, 2004
Added a link to Ensight SOS Mode How To
- March 8, 2004
- Publications page updates. Added links to the
2004 section of the LBNL
Visgroup Publications page for two recent paper submissions that
describe a methodology for estimating performance of components in
a visualization pipeline.
- DiVA project update - VisPortal.
content to the DiVA project page that focuses on the role of portals
in brokering user/tool interfaces in distributed computing environments.
- DiVA project update - Performance Modeling.
content to the DiVA project page that describes the need for and
our approach to performance modeling of components in a visualization
- Feb 26, 2004
RSI, the makers of IDL, sent us an email advising of a problem in
IDL version 6.0 that is receiving high priority for repair. You can
read the email by visiting the NERSC IDL
- Feb 25, 2004
Added a link to our Presentations page
for a talk given to visitors from UK's Technology Watch.
- Feb 1, 2004. Welcome to our new website look and feel and
content layout! In addition to a new look and feel, the site has
undergone substantial reorganization to ease finding information.
During the reorganization, portions of the old content that were "dead
weight" were removed. To aid you in locating information on the
new website, we have created a
site map/permuted site index.
- 05 Dec 2003. After much effort, we have finally been cleared to
publicly release the source code for Visapult. Please visit the
Visapult 2 project page.
- 3 Nov 2003. Winner of the IEEE Vis 2003 "Best Application Paper Award"
Interactive Protein Manipulation by a team composed of the following
folks: Oliver Kreylos, Silvia Crivelli, Nelson Max, Bernd Hamann
and Wes Bethel.
- 27 July 2003. Added new links to the
2003 section of the publications page pointing to our 2003 IEEE
Visualization panel on Interoperability of Visualization Software, and to
the Report of the Visualization Breakout Session at the SCaLeS Workshop
held in Arlington, VA in June, 2003.
- 27 July 2003. "EnSight Visualization Seminar" lecture on Access
Grid August 19, 2003 from 9:00AM - 1PM PDT.In cooperation with CEI,
the vendor who produces EnSight, the NERSC Visualization Group is
providing a lecture via the Access Grid entitled, "EnSight
Visualization Seminar", presented by Kent Misegades, President of
CEI. This lecture will provide introductory training on the use of
EnSight. For more information please go EnSight
- 12 June 2003 In cooperation with RSI, the vendor who produces IDL, the NERSC Visualization Group is providing a lecture via the Access Grid entitled, "What's New in IDL 6.0". Please follow the link for more information. What's New in IDL 6.0.
- 28 May 2003. Added G. Weber's paper on parallel cell projection
rendering of AMR data to the Publications page.
- 19 May 2003. New webpage for the Remote and Distributed Visualization
Frameworks effort. More information.
- 19 May 2003. Added N. Shah's PhyloVista paper, and O. Kreylos'
IEEE Vis 2003 submission on Interactive Protein Manipulation to the
- 5 May 2003: Bethel's presentations at the 2003 DOECGF are linked
from the Presentations
- 3 Apr 2003: New link on the presentations
page to a talk given on 4/2/03 at the 2003 DOE/CIO Annual Information
Technology Conference in San Jose, CA.
- 19 Mar 2003: New Publications link to
Visapult Chapter, to appear in an upcoming book entitled "Visualization Handbook."
- 10 Feb 2003: Added a
to the visportal presentation to USG, private presentation.
- 28 Jan 2003: Major reorganization of the Projects and Vignettes
directories. Please report any dead links you may find!
- 16 Jan 2003: James Chen, UCD Graduate Student and of the LBNL
Visualization Group, draws
"first blood" for publications
in 2003. Good job, James!
- 6 Jan 2003: New link on the Events
page, which links to the SC02 Bandwidth Challenge.
- 27 Nov 2002: New link on the
publications page, which
points to the SupercomputingOnline.com article describing the
Berkeley Lab win at the SC02 Bandwidth Challenge.
- 26 Nov 2002: Added a first draft of a manual page for Oliver's
- 26 Nov 2002: The Visapult-2
project page has been updated to include post-SC02 source code updates.
You can now download the source code for the version of Visapult used to
win the SC02 Bandwidth Challenge. This latest distribution contains code
that supports streaming i/o with a running Cactus code over parallel
UDP channels, along with source for a sample Cactus-like data source used
- 22 Nov 2002: new images and movies in the Vignettes for Joel Primack's galaxy collision.
- 15 Nov 2002: A new
publication, which is an almost-final version of an article to
appear in the May/June 2003 special Grid-Visualization issue of
- 14 Nov 2002: new images and movies in the V
ignettes for Peter Nugent.
- 21 Oct 2002: Two new
publications added to the list of 2002 papers.
- 7 Oct 2002: A new web page for
Visapult v2.0, which contains substantial improvements over
version 1. This page's location is temporary, and is intended to
be a one-stop shopping center for our SC02 bandwidth challenge
- 31 July 2002: Here's a link to an
internal SC2002 planning page. Note that this link is visible only
inside the lbl.gov domain.
- 29 July 2002: The publications page has
been reorganized so that it contains only publications. Some of the
presentations that were previously listed on the publications page
now appear on the presentations
- 31 May 2002: The projects page on this
website is updated to reflect the beginnings of a reorganization of all
projects into two groups. The first group,
visualization vignettes, describes results of individual collaborations
with Lab and NERSC-hosted science programs. The other group,
R&D , is an index into
the diverse R&D activities conducted by our group.
- 31 May 2002: The NERSC/LBL Visualization group is hosting a visualization
requirements workshop on June 5, 2002 in Berkeley.
- 22 April 2002: VMD - Visual Molecular Dynamics version 1.7 available on Escher
- 22 April 2002: VMD - Visual Molecular Dynamics version 1.7 available on Seaborg
- 22 April 2002: PV-WAVE 7.5 upgrade and additional online support resources
- 1 March 2002: xv support for postscript and pdf on Escher
- 1 March 2002: xv version 3.10a is now available on Seaborg
- Added "Events" link from home page. We're in the process of migrating
a bunch of older directories into this subdirectory. Bear with us while we get organized.
- 14 March 2002: Added a new vignette with the phase evolution of the beam simulation.
- 21 February 2002: Added a better IDL script for making MPEG files, the new files can be found here.
- 14 February 2002: Added an examples page for express.
- 30 January 2002: Added an MPEG generation project for AVS/Express with an example application that makes the movies from a sequence of images.
- 22 January 2002: Updated MPEG generation pages.
- 18 January 2002: New link for a paper entitled
Interactive Stereo Electron Microscopy Enhanced with Virtual Reality
to appear in the 2002 SPIE/IS&T Conference on Electronic Imaging
in San Jose, CA.
- 3 January 2002: Added a search page for the vis group home page
- 9 June 2000
9 June 2000 Visapult source code release implements overlapped disk or network I/O with
rendering, effectively doubling the duty cycle of the backEnd on many
datasets and platforms.
- 14 January 2000
The importance of OpenGL was added to the VTK web page
along with useful pointers to more information.
- 13 January 2000
The VTK web page was updated to show how to execute the tcl examples.
- 17 December 1999
The first public release of the Image Based Rendering Assisted Volume
Rendering code is made available. Check
for more information.
- 16 December 1999
NCAR 4.1.1 was installed on the software farm for Solaris and IRIX 6.5.
The IRIX version will be available early January.
- 9 December 1999
Vtk (including Tcl/Tk) was installed on escher.nersc.gov.
More information on Vtk and its use is
- 2 December 1999
- The software page was updated to reflect changes in new version numbers for
AVS-Express and ImageMagick.
- 17 November 1999
- A new version of ImageMagick was installed on escher. More
information can be found on the