IDL at NERSC
Up-to-date information on which versions of EnSight are running on which NERSC
platforms is available at:
NERSC Visualization Software Applications
Note: 25 Feb 2004
RSI sent us some email advising of a known issue with
IDL version 6.0 that is receiving high-priority attention for repair.
Table of Contents
- IDL, the Interactive Data Language,
is an interactive application used for for data analysis,
visualization, and cross-platform application development. IDL combines
all of the tools you need for any type of project, from "quick-look,"
interactive analysis and display to large-scale commercial programming
projects. Thousands of technical professionals use IDL every day to
rapidly develop algorithms, interfaces, and powerful visualizations
and quickly crunch through large numerical problems.
The current default version of IDL is 6.0.
- IDL has many features useful for interactive data analysis
and visualization. You can take
a feature tour on
the RSI website.
- Accessing IDL
IDL is available on the NERSC platforms Escher and Seaborg
via the modules facility. It is also possible to run it on a
desktop system, using a license provided by NERSC.
Links to online local documentation (pdf/html format).
- Additional Resources
Links to the IDL distribution site, supplemental information, a FAQ
page, emacs modes.
- Sample Screen Shots.
- IDL's primary use is in the analysis and display of scientific data
through its programming, plotting, and image display facilities.
- IDL is a licensed product and is available from
Seaborg and the Escher, the NERSC Visualization Server.
- 2-D Plotting & Contouring.
- Surface Plotting & 3-D Graphics.
- Graphic Effects.
- Color Systems.
- Curve & Surface Fitting.
- Image and Signal Processing.
- Linear Systems.
- Sparse Linear Systems.
- Nonlinear Systems and Root Finding.
- Multi-Dimensional Optimization.
- Special & Transcendental Functions.
- Correlation Analysis and Forecasting.
- Hypothesis Testing.
- Multi-Dimensional Gridding and Interpolation.
- Development and Programming Tools.
- Integrated Development Environment.
- User Interface Toolkit.
- IDL Insight.
- IDL DataMiner Option.
- On NERSC machines (escher, seaborg), enter the following on
the command line:
module load idl
To use IDL on a desktop machine, please see
"Remote License Services at NERSC".
IDL has a rich set of demos. To try them out after starting up IDL, type:
For help, type:
The IDL supplied source for the library procedures and examples are in:
$IDL_DIR/lib and $IDL_DIR/examples.
Pdf Documentation (IDL6.0)
Pdf Documentation (IDL5.6)
Documentation For Idlwave, Emacs Mode For IDL (Unsupported)
Emacs Modes For IDL (Unsupported)
Local Documentation Downloads: (Use shift left-mouse to download files)
Sample Screen Shots