XV at NERSC
Table of Contents
XV is an interactive image display and format conversion utility for
use on Unix/X11 systems.
Image display, crop, rotate, scale, gamma correction, color table
manipulation, format conversion, etc.
- Accessing XV
XV is available on the LBL software farms, and on several NERSC platforms
via the modules facility.
Links to online HTML manual pages (local / distribution website)
and downloadable documentation (multiple formats).
- Additional Resources
Links to the XV distribution site, supplemental information, and an FAQ
Sample Screen Shots.
- XV is an X11 program that displays images in a variety of formats
(GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PBM, PGM, PPM, X11 bitmap, Utah Raster Toolkit RLE,
PDS/VICAR, Sun Rasterfile, and PM formats.
- XV will also read compressed versions of these files.
- XV is copyrighted. Version 2.x was free, but versions 3.0 and
later require a fee. Computing Services has a site license for all
users of UNIX systems supported by the UNIX Group and NERSC.
- Display an image in a window on the screen.
- Display an an image on the root window, in a variety of styles.
- Grab any rectangular portion of the screen and turn it into an image.
- Arbitrarily stretch or compress the image.
- Rotate the image in 90-degree steps.
- Flip the image around the horizontal or vertical axes.
- Crop a rectangular portion of the image.
- Magnify any portion of the image by any amount, up to the size of the screen.
- Determine pixel values and x,y coordinates in the image.
- Adjust image brightness and contrast with a gamma correction function.
- Apply different gamma functions to the Red, Green,and Blue color components to correct for non-linear color response.
- Adjust global image saturation.
- Perform global hue remapping.
- Edit an image's colormap.
- Reduce the number of colors in an image.
- Dither iN color and b&w.
- Smooth an image.
- Crop off solid borders automatically.
- Convert image formats.
To access XV on NERSC platforms, use the modules facility as follows:
% module load xv
Local Documentation Downloads: (Use shift left-mouse to download files)
Sample Screen Shots